Friday, October 16, 2009

FREEDOM...REALLY?

I asked the following question of a few of my single friends the other day:

"Are you taking advantage of your freedom or is your freedom taking advantage of you". I got responses relating to horizontal relationships (man-woman). To say I am disappointed in the answers is mild. As singles,we are constantly told that we have the uniqueness of freedom. Freedom to come and go as we please, when we want, freedom to spend our income as we wish, etc. But scripture speaks of freedom from several aspects. (1) That we have been freed from sin through the shedding of Christ's blood on Calvary. (2) That our freedom is not to be used maliciously (3) That we are to STAND in our liberty. So as a single, how does God expect me to utilize the freedom that I have been given? Knowing that I am a blood washed, born again, spirit filled believer, I am convinced that my freedom is to be spent pursuing Godliness and Holiness. This means that in my singleness, I am to use the gifts and talents, monies and time that I have not in pursuit of flesh tickling, time wasting pursuits, but rather in the furtherance of His Kingdom. To allow my freedom to take advantage of me means that I've lapsed in the "running with patience the race that is set before me."(Heb.12:1) because I've gotten off track by pursuing what God never called me to pursue. Please understand what I"m saying. I'm not in anyway knocking leisure, but when leisure leads, lackadaisical soon follows. I need to use this time that I have to spend in prayer, listening, seeking opportunities to minister to others without the restraints that the married life has. I think we should take the focus off of the SINGLES in Singles ministry and refocus on the MINISTRY of Singles ministry.

No comments: